Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Star Trek Review - Part II (SPOILERS)

Okay, it’s finally time for the second part of my review. I think it's time to see the movie again. 

_____________________


5) John Cho as Sulu When Kirk asked Sulu what his hand-to-hand training was, I was like Please let it be fencing, PLEASE let it be fencing! Sooooo awesome.  Was it me or does it seem like his character was the least explained? I feel that he got the least amount of screen time of the main 7 and he was the crewman we learned the least about. Maybe I need to see it again, but I can’t really comment on Cho’s performance because there’s not much to talk about. The fight scene with Sulu, Kirk and the Romulans was awesome, though. 

6) Simon Pegg as Scotty Funniest scene in the whole movie: After all the action on the bridge, Scotty goes “I like this ship—it’s exciting!”  Pegg did a wonderful job of creating his own version of Scotty. But did anyone else cringe at his little alien sidekick thing? I thought one thing: Jar Jar. Maybe that’s a little extreme, but I worry. 

7) Anton Yelchin as Chekov I haven’t seen Charlie Bartlett but now I want to. This kid—sorry, this guy; he only looks young—was great as Chekov. I loved the ego combined with the eager-to-please mentality. The bit where he ran through the corridors going “I can do that! I can do that!” was hilarious and of course the part where the computer didn’t understand his code was classic.

8) Eric Bana as Nero I would say great job on the makeup, but I really think the reason I didn’t recognize him is because I don’t know who the guy is. I know the name but I don’t think I’ve seen a single movie of his! It’s nothing against him, I guess he just hasn’t done anything in genres I care about.

Anyway, onto Nero. Am I the only one who thinks this character was a little weak?  Also, why the heck did they have to change what the Romulans looked like? He reminded me of Shinzon, another under-developed bad guy (IMHO).

Other thoughts: When Kirk relieved Pike at the end of the movie, my first thought was Oh man, dude STILLends up paralyzed. But my next thought was But at least he’s not burnt toast in a black box with flashy lights. He still looks hot. 

The scene on the planet where Kirk ignored the advice to stay inside the shuttlepod was also classic Trek. Very nicely done. And as Matthew reminded me, the Uhura’s-first-name bit was also ingenious.

So that’s my bit. How do y’all feel about it? I still need to see it a second time, though it probably won’t be at an IMAX theatre. I knew it would be more expensive but double the price of a regular theatre ticket is a bit much.

4 comments:

  1. Did you notice when the three jumped out of the shuttle craft to disable the drill that the guy in the RED suit died? I saw them in the scene before and just started laughing and whispering "He's gonna die! He's gonna die!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, sorry, Dan! I thought Blogger would email me when I got a comment. I was wrong.

    Hahahaha, I don't remember that scene! I'm going to see it in a week with my friend Anne. I'll pay attention. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liked your character/actor review.
    I myself liked the fact that Abrams went his own way. I didn't mind the alternate time line aspect; my biggest fear was a deus ex machina in the final 5 minutes to bring that time line into canon. Very glad he didn't do that.

    I was struck by the similarity in appearance between Abrams' Enterprise and Lost in Space's Jupiter II remake. Not a bad thing, just an observation.

    Worth seeing; maybe now I'll go see it for a second time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, that was a very valid fear! I'm glad they didn't do that. I'll have to check out the new Lost in Space; haven't seen it yet. And yes, you should definitely see it a second time! I won a free movie ticket recently and might see it a third time... :-D

    ReplyDelete