Sunday, January 1, 2017

18 Questions for a New Year's Reflection

** ADAPTED FROM: 20 Questions for a New Year’s Eve Reflection http://www.incourage.me/2010/12/20-questions-for-a-new-years-eve-reflection-2.html **

Eighteen Questions for a New Year's Reflection

1. What was the single best thing that happened this past year? I received the Outstanding Adjunct Faculty award at Pellissippi State!

2. What was the single most challenging thing that happened? Relearning how to deal with migraines (after having not suffered from them for about a decade).

3. What was an unexpected joy this past year? I discovered a new (to me) band and they're now one of my favorites (We Are Scientists)!

4. What was an unexpected obstacle? A smaller course load in the fall semester.

5. Pick three words to describe 2016. Shock, loss, disbelief.

6. What were the best books you read this year? Dating An Alien Pop Star* by Kendra Saunders and Oh Myyy!: There Goes the Internet by George Takei.

7. With whom were your most valuable relationships? I always value my long-term relationships (parents, brother, best friends from elementary school) but some of the most valuable this past year were rekindled and renewed relationships with friends from college and grad school.

8. What was your biggest personal change from January to December of this past year? I lost about 35 lbs.

9. In what way(s) did you grow emotionally? I decided to be more upfront about things (instead of avoiding certain topics and conversations) while also deciding to close off parts of myself from people I can no longer trust.

10. In what way(s) did you grow spiritually? I finally learned why the older brother in the parable of the prodigal son was wrong in questioning of his father's actions (grace).

11. In what way(s) did you grow physically? I joined a gym and started working with an awesome trainer (Kellie B Fitness).

12. In what way(s) did you grow in your relationships with others? See #9.

13. What was the most enjoyable part of your work (both professionally and at home)? Professionally: Continuing to come up with ideas for making my Music Appreciation classes more engaging and working with new private students. At home: Getting rid of a bunch of stuff I no longer use (via Mercari, LetGo, and charity).

14. What was the most challenging part of your work (both professionally and at home)? Professionally: Enforcing new rules and figuring out which ones don't work. At home: Cutting down on clutter.

15. What was your single biggest time waster in your life this past year? Worrying about things over which I have no control (it's a favorite pastime).

16. What was the best way you used your time this past year? Working on my new website a bit at a time, over several months. It's now live! www.robynjames.com

17. What was biggest thing you learned this past year? I learned what attendance policies don't work for my courses (to my liking).

18. Create a phrase or statement that describes 2016 for you. You only have room to grow if you step outside of your comfort zone.

What about YOU?


*The Kindle version is currently FREE!

No comments:

Post a Comment