Monday, July 5, 2010

We didn't start the fire...

This is an entry from an old blog (from summer a year or two ago), and I thought I'd share it with you all. It reads a little bit like one of my crazy dreams but it's a true story!
______

Okay, so yesterday was cool. I went to the KARM Thrift Store off Western and got an AWESOME coffee table and end table. They are all nice and dusted and Windexed now, and in my living room. My friend Glenn helped me pick them out and then had to run somewhere, so another friend Erik helped me move them. I then treated Erik to Ben & Jerry's to thank him for his help.

And that's when my car caught on fire.

Well, not the entire car. Just the alternator. But it was totally on fire. I smelled something funny as we approached Ben & Jerry's, so once we got there I popped the hood. We saw smoke, and then we saw the flames inside the alternator. Fun times. I called AAA for a tow, but they said that before they could tow it the fire had to be put out (duh). I was told to call the Fire Department, get them to okay it, then call AAA back. I called the Fire Dept. and then called my dad, because I didn't really like playing the Wait and Watch Your Car Go Up In Flames game. Dad said to put dirt on it. I was panicking and going "There's no dirt, I'm on a paved parking lot!" Then I had an idea. "Wait--Erik, go grab some of that mulch!!!" So he did, and I know it could've been a disaster, but the fire eventually snuffed out. And of course it was out by the time the Fire Dept. arrived to okay the car to be towed. *sigh*

So long story short--I went home (after Erik and I had B&J's sorbet, YEAH!), then this morning around 9:00 AAA towed me to Gabby's Alternator Repair. Thank God for living on Sutherland--it seriously has everything you could ever need. And I got my car back around 2:00. How awesome is that?
______

I'd say it's pretty nifty. Unfortunately I don't live in that uber-convenient part of town anymore but I still take my car to Buckner's, which is also off Sutherland. They're trustworthy guys and they do great work (and the same goes for Gabby's).

So, any memorable car/truck/bike moments from the peanut gallery? ;-)

3 comments:

  1. Every time I go on a long trip with my husband, something goes wrong. We blew out a tire going 70 down the high way in May. Last Thanksgiving we ran out of gas half way between DC and Knoxville. It's always an adventure driving with Brandan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had work done on Le Bete Rouge (my 1985 Renault Alliance) at Gabby's. Good work, cheap, but the car still ate alternators like popcorn so she had to go away. :-( But I bought the car with the specific purpose of getting me through school and she died the final death the day I moved out of Melrose. Sheesh, I didn't think she'd be so literal. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @J - Wow! I guess adventure is good, right? Keeps life interesting...? ;-)

    @H - Silly, literal car! You shouldn't have filled her in on your plan... X-D

    ReplyDelete